Alliance for Retired Americans
888 16th St. NW
Washington, D.C. 20006
(888) 373-6497
Nursing home and long-term care information available, plus fact sheets on prescription drugs, Social Security, Patients’ Bill of Rights, and housing.

AARP Grief and Loss Programs
601 E Street NW
Washington, DC 20049
(202) 434-2260 and (800) 424-3410
(866) 797-2277 Grief Support Line
Offers a wide variety of bereavement programming (e.g. one-to-one outreach, such as its Widowed Person Service, support groups and educational meetings) that serve bereaved persons and their families.
For free copy of "On Being Alone" and/or to learn location of closest program to you, contact AARP.

American Association of Pastoral Counselors
9504A Lee Highway
Fairfax, VA 22031-2303
A pastoral care referral service to find a center or counselor in callerís local area.

The American Psychiatric Association
1400 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005
(888) 357-7924
When you call, ask for the telephone number of the district branch of the American Psychiatric Association for your state. Someone at the district branch will then be able to give you the names of doctors in your local area.

The American Psychological Association
750 First St. NE
Washington, DC 20002-4242
(800) 374-2721 or (202) 336-5500
Contact for the telephone number of the executive officer of the association serving your state. That person will refer you to therapists in your local area.

The Dougy Center
P.O. Box 86582
Portland, OR 97286
(503) 775-5683
Provides telephone assistance and literature to widowed persons with children and adolescents. Maintains a national directory of childrenís grief services, which includes referral to resources in callerís local area.

The Eldercare Locator
This is a public service of the U.S. Administration on Aging, with a toll-free number and web site for locating more than 4,800 service providers. Areas of assistance are: adult day care and respite services, nursing home ombudsman assistance, consumer fraud, in-home care complaints, legal services, elder abuse/protective services, medicaid/medigap information, tax assistance and transportation.

National Association of Social Workers
750 First Street NE
Suite 700, Washington, DC 20002-4241
(202) 408-8600
Call or visit website to obtain the names of registered clinical social workers practicing in your local area.

Parents Without Partners Information Center
1650 S. Dixie Hwy., Suite 500
Boca Raton, FL 33432-7461
Parents Without Partners provides single parents and their children with an opportunity for enhancing personal growth, self-confidence and sensitivity toward others by offering an environment for support, friendship and the exchange of parenting techniques. Call the 800# or use web site for locating chapter in your area.

121 Second St., 7th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94105
SeniorNet is a non-profit organization of computer-using adults, age fifty and older. There are over two hundred learning centers throughout the U.S. SeniorNet members learn and teach others to use computers and communications technologies to accomplish a variety of tasks. Membership is not required to participate in the SeniorNet RoundTables discussion at the web site.

Women Work!
The National Network for Womenís Employment
1625 K Street NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC 20006
202-467-6346 or (800) 235-2732
Women Work! Programs are known nationally for their effectiveness in helping women find and keep jobs to support their families. A referral service is provided for locating local programs that retrain and make women employable and, in some cases, offers job referral.

Under the Displaced Homemakers Act, the YWCA has government funding to help middle-aged women enter or reenter the job market. The YMCA also provides educational seminars and programs.


© Copyright 2008 LifeWords Publishing. All Rights Reserved.